Sunday, May 10, 2009

The First Day of the Rest of Your Life

I'm sitting in the old town square of Prague, a little after midnight. Lamplights shine bronze and blue against the grand black church which looks as it it was carved from volcanic rock and boiled in history. Teenagers drink beer at tables in the outdoor cafes. Tourists stalk delicately underneath the clock tower, waiting to pounce with Nikon-fu at the miniature dolls that pop out and dance at lunar intervals. A parade of drunken Russians wield flags and song celebrating a soccer victory.

Here I am, typing away on my little computer, a million miles from the life I've left behind.

I have escaped the rat race. I have been working my tail off for the past ten years on the little hamster wheel of modern life: work-car-work-house-work-marriage-work-children-work-death. Now I'm ready to reinvent myself.

We'll see what happens.

No comments: